Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Stroller Story

Rowan and I walk everyday around Laguna del Náinari near our apartment. We go along with two friends we know from CIMMYT. I took along some old bread to feed the ducks at the end of our walk one day and after we had made our loop I started down the hill to do so. As soon as I took a step down the hill I noticed that it was muddy, but we have a really nice stroller that can handle it and I had on my running shoes.
Pause...We have a Kelty Speedster Swivel Deluxe that was kindly given to me as a birthday present last year by Esten's parents. I wish it had an odometer so I could tell you how many miles we've ran/walked. If you've been reading this blog for a long time then you may remember a picture of Ro in the stroller from long ago.
Continuing, I was going down at an angle and moving very slow so that I didn't slip. One of the ladies that was with us came down the hill too (she had her son in our moby wrap tied onto her) and she slipped in the mud probably because of her flip-flops. Two ladies walking on the trail came down the hill to help her up and they both slipped. All the while, Rowan and I are standing still on the hill watching this happen.
Man to the rescue right? Wrong! A man, with good intent, came down the hill and he had the worst fall of all. He slipped and grabbed the hood of Ro's stroller to try and stop himself. Instead of him stopping, he flipped the stroller over and over and over. Rowan was rolling side over side down the hill in his stroller. I was holding the handle and I immediately starting pulling back on the stroller trying to get it back up and prevent him from going into the water. I was dragged down the hill too, on my knees. I was pushing the man off of the stroller while this was happening and after he finally let go, I flipped Rowan over and pushed him back up the hill as fast as I could, without slipping might I add. He was crying and I was worried that he was going to have a broken bone since that huge man was on top of him. I took him out and walked down the hill to feed the ducks(distraction from the chaos), the tears subsided and my heart rate slowed. I made him move all of his limbs and put him down to walk, he was fine. I was covered in mud, as was the stroller, and blood was running down my legs and off of my hand.
I'm so grateful that Rowan was in a good stroller with a five-point harness and the sturdy metal frame that probably kept the man's weight from being directly on him.
If at any time you find yourself slipping down a hill and see a baby stroller that might stop the fall, may I advise you to just fall?

No comments:

Post a Comment